Sunday 12 May 2013

New: a 1967 Vespa 180 SS


It's been a while since I updated this blog. Partly because I was taken ill for while. Actually so bad that I missed the scooter premiere here in Stockholm about a week ago.
Now I'm feeling better! Especially since my "new" Vespa has arrived. I heard about this one a couple of weeks ago. The seller didn't know much except that it had a trapezoidal head lamp. Could be a 150 cc Sprint - or preferably a 180 Super Sport...
It was the latter, hooray!
Well, not in a super condition, but not bad either. Everything seems to be there and the engine is not seized. The guy I bought it from claims that an earlier owner had the engine overhauled. Although it in some areas seems untouched, someone has been fiddling with it. For example has the tank been out, and hopefully cleaned, but not reinstalled properly. The gears seems to work, as the throttle and brakes. The electrics has to be sorted though. There is some damage on the handlebar, but it's restorable.
As you can see from the pictures the original paint (Monza red?) is a bit faded. There is also a lot of period stickers, mainly from Finland, which appeals to me.
The plan is to just clean and polish it, and making it work well mechanically.







5 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a good one. That is something you could ride, or would be an easy paint "restoration." Fantastic that it still has the running-in sticker on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I'm ever so pleased Paul!
    I will have it running nicely first, then maybe, maybe, fill in paint at the worst spots. The crashbars are in bad shape, think I will discard them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoah, she is gorgeous - lucky you!! Glad you're not going to restore her ;)

    Re-blogged here - http://vespamore-uk.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/67-vespa-super-sport-180-unearthed.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not too much of a Vespa man, but that is one cool scooter! Sorry to hear you've been I'll... Nothing serious I hope?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, some gall bladder issues. Hopefully cured...

    ReplyDelete